In order to compensate for the increase in the cost of energy resources and related services, from 1 November 2022 to 31 May 2023, the State Social Insurance Agency (SSIA) will disburse a state benefit to a person who resides in Latvia and receives during this period:
- old-age, invalidity or survivors' pension, including early and advance pension;
- retirement pension – if the age required for an old-age pension has been reached, but no old-age pension has been granted;
- retirement pension – if the age required for an old-age pension has not been reached, but the person has been recognised as suffering from disability;
- special pension;
- compensation for loss of capacity to work or for loss of a provider;
- state social security benefit (SSSB), granted in the Republic of Latvia.
Monthly amount of the state benefit is:
1) 30 euro – if the amount of the pension, remuneration or SSSB does not exceed 300 euro per month;
2) 20 euro – if the amount of the pension, remuneration or SSSB is between 301 and 509 euro per month;
3) 10 euro – if the amount of the pension, remuneration or SSSB is between 510 and 603 euro per month.
!!! No cents are taken into account when determining the amount of the benefit to be disbursed. For example, if the amount of the old-age pension is 300.94 euro, cents after the decimal point are removed, and state benefit in the amount of 30 euro per month is disbursed.
Entitled to a state benefit of 30 euro per month, regardless of the amount of the service provided, is a person residing in Latvia
from 1 November 2022 to 31 May 2023:
- who receives a supplement to the state family benefit for a disabled child,
- who has been granted a refugee or alternative status in Latvia and has not been disbursed a state benefit as a recipient of a pension, SSSB, remuneration or supplement to the state family benefit for a disabled child.
The state benefit shall be disbursed for the month in which the person receives the service. For example, if a pension is granted in the middle of the month, the full state benefit of €30, €20 or €10 shall be disbursed for that month in full amount.
When determining the amount of the state benefit, gross (recalculated) amount of the pension, remuneration or SSSB (i.e., before withholding personal income tax and other deductions) shall be taken into account. If an old-age pension is granted prematurely, 50% of the granted (recalculated) amount of the old-age pension shall be taken into account when determining the amount of the state benefit.
If a person is a recipient of several services (pension, remuneration or SSSB) at the same time, only one state benefit shall be disbursed, and the amount thereof shall be determined by taking into account the total amount of the services.
If the person himself/herself receives pension, remuneration or SSSB and, at the same time, a service for the child (survivor's pension/benefit/remuneration or supplement to the state family benefit for a disabled child), the SSIA will disburse two state benefits (for the person himself/herself and for the child).
However, if the person receives two services for the child, for example, pension, benefit or SSSB, and a supplement to the state family benefit for a disabled child, then one state benefit in the amount of 30 will be disbursed for your child.
The SSIA will disburse the state benefit together with the monthly service, no application is required.
For persons who will be granted a service entitling them to a state benefit by 31 May 2023 and who will not be disbursed the state benefit by the aforementioned date, the state benefit will be disbursed within 30 days from the date of the decision to grant the basic service.
An application must be submitted to the SSIA,
- if the person has been granted a refugee or alternative status and become entitled to state benefit;
- if a disabled person receives a retirement pension of the Constitution Protection Bureau or the Military Intelligence and Security Service.
The application must state:
- name, surname and personal identity number,
- phone number or e-mail address,
- account number with a credit institution or postal settlement system (PNS) in the Republic of Latvia.
The application can be submitted:
- electronically on the official e-address of the SSIA,
- electronically by e-mail email@example.com (application must be signed with a secure electronic signature),
- by sending it by post to any division or by placing it in the post boxes located in the SSIA customer service centres.
The application must be submitted by 13 February 2023 or within six months of the date on which entitlement to the state benefit arises between 1 November 2022 and 31 May 2023.
For your information!
- The state benefit is not subject to recovery or deductions, and to personal income tax.
- The municipal social service does not take into account the benefit disbursed to the person when assessing the household's financial situation for the purpose of granting social aid.
- The state benefit shall be taken into account in the payment for services provided by long-term social care and social rehabilitation institutions for the persons staying in a long-term social care and social rehabilitation institution.
- If the person is in a prison, he/she is not entitled to state benefit.
- A recipient of a retirement pension of the Ministry of Defence who has been diagnosed with a disability must apply to the Ministry of Defence for the benefit.