The pension must be claimed from the date of attainment of the specified retirement age and the termination of the employment relationship in the profession which entitles the right to a retirement pension. If the application for a service pension to be granted in accordance with the Law On State Pensions has been submitted later, the pension entitlement shall be not earlier than 6 months prior to the date of submission of the application. Retirement pensions to be granted in accordance with the service pension law must be requested by the relevant institution within the time limit specified in the service pension law.
In order to claim a pension, a specific form of application addressed to the SSIA must be completed.
May submit a submission:
• electronically - using the official electronic address (e-address) or e-mail (the application must be signed with a secure electronic signature containing the time stamp);
• on-site (if requested for service, a personal identification document (passport or ID card) must be produced);
• through the competent foreign authority.
The application may be submitted to any VSAA customer service centre.
The following shall be presented together with the request for a pension:
1. a statement from the employer that the work of the employee conforms to the professions specified in the Regulations On Retirement Pensions;
2. a document certifying that the person no longer works in the profession which gave entitlement to a retirement pension;
3. Documents certifying the length of insurance:
• Colhozner's workbook,
• the contract of employment and the documents relating to its performance, indicating the completion of the working period concerned,
• a cardiologist,
• a training certificate (certificate, refusal, diploma, statement of the educational institution), documents of the State Archives of Latvia or other State Archives, etc., which prove the length of insurance until 31 December 1995.
The submission shall indicate the preferred method of receiving the decision.
Receipt of services
A decision regarding the granting of a pension may be received in person, by post, in the official electronic address or in the portal www.latvija.lv, in accordance with the type of receipt of the decision indicated in the application.
The service shall, at the choice of the recipient, be transferred by the VSAA to the account of the Latvian credit institution or postal settlement system (PNS) or delivered at the place of residence of the recipient of the service or paid through the competent authority of the contracting country.