The pension must be claimed from the date of the survivor's death. If the application has been submitted later, the pension rights shall be not earlier than 6 months prior to the date of submission of the application.
In order to claim a pension, a specific form of application addressed to the SSIA must be completed.
May submit a submission:
• on the www.latvija.lv portal;
• on-site (if requested for service, a personal identification document (passport or ID card) must be produced);
• electronically (the application must be signed with a secure electronic signature containing the time stamp);
• through the competent foreign authority.
An application may be submitted in person to any VSAA customer service centre or to the unified customer service centres of the State and local governments.
The death certificate or the birth certificate of the child/u shall be presented together with the pension request, if these documents have been issued in a foreign institution and the data have not been registered in the Population Register of the Republic of Latvia, as well as documents certifying the length of insurance of the deceased person:
• Colhozner's workbook,
• the contract of employment and the documents relating to its performance, indicating the completion of the working period concerned,
• a cardiologist,
• a training certificate (certificate, refusal, diploma, statement of the educational institution), documents of the State Archives of Latvia or other State Archives, etc., which prove the length of insurance until 31 December 1995.
The submission shall indicate the preferred method of receiving the decision.
Receipt of services
A decision regarding the granting of a pension may be received in person, by post, in the official electronic address or in the portal www.latvija.lv, in accordance with the type of receipt of the decision indicated in the application.
The service shall, at the choice of the recipient, be transferred by the VSAA to the account of the Latvian credit institution or postal settlement system (PNS) or delivered at the place of residence of the recipient of the service or paid through the competent authority of the contracting country.