State social security old age allowance
The following persons are entitled to receive the state social security old age allowance (hereinafter referred to as the allowance) – citizens and non-citizens of Latvia, foreigners and stateless persons:
- who are residing in the territory of Latvia permanently;
- who have been living in Latvia for no less than 60 months in total, the last 12 months of which they have lived in Latvia constantly;
- who have been assigned a personal identity number.
The allowance is granted for life.
People who have received a temporary residence permit in Latvia are not entitled to receive the allowance.
Granting of the allowance
The allowance is granted according to Section 13 of the Law on State Social Allowances to a person, who:
- is not entitled to receive state pension (except for the pension in case of loss of supporter for a disabled person) or insurance indemnity in connection with an accident at work or an occupational illness;
- is not employed (is not considered to be an employed or self-employed person according to the Law on State Social Insurance);
- has exceeded the age prescribed in the Law on State Pensions for people to receive state old age pension for at least five years.
The state social security benefit will be granted to an individual having reached the age, where according to the Law on State Pensions it is entitled to an old-age pension.
An n individual, who is not entitled to state-granted old-age pension (whose insurance period is less than the needed 15 years), will be entitled to state social security benefit starting from the day it will have reached the old-age pension age.
For a person receiving state pension in another country that does not reach the amount of the state social security allowance, the amount of the state social security allowance to be granted is reduced by the amount of the pension granted by the other country.
If the person receives state pension granted by another country that is equal to the amount of the state social security allowance or exceeds it, the state social security allowance is not granted.
The benefits’ claiming rules
Grounds for awarding the benefit:
- Application for receiving the benefit.
An application you can submit in one of the divisions of the State Social Insurance Agency (SSIA):
- personally or as electronic document, in accordance with the legal regulation of the processing of the electronic documents;
- sent by post or submit by a notary authorized person’s intermediation;
- submit in one of the customer service centers of the state or local governments, which have the cooperation agreements with SSIA.
The easiest way to do this by filling in an E-application to the state and local governments’ services portal www.latvija.lv.
By signing the application, the person requesting the benefit confirms that the information provided in the application is accurate
An authorized person can also apply for the benefit if he or she has formalized the representation rights in accordance with Section 38, Paragraph one of the Administrative Procedure Law. Representation of the natural person is formalized with a notarized letter of attorney, also natural person can authorize his or her representative in the institution (VSAA) by both the representative and the authorizing person arriving to the institution in person.
Conditions for the disbursement of the benefits
The payment of the allowance is discontinued:
- for the period of time while the recipient of the allowance is fully provided for by the state (in a state-funded institution of prolonged social care or social rehabilitation or in a penal institution);
- if the recipient of the allowance leaves the Republic of Latvia to permanently live abroad.
In this case, the payment of the allowance is discontinued, paying the allowance for the next two months before the person leaves the country;
- if the recipient of the allowance gives up the allowance on his/her own free will;
- in cases the person becomes entitled to receive state pension (except for the pension in case of loss of supporter for a disabled person) or insurance indemnity in connection with an accident at work or an occupational illness;
- if the person becomes employed (is an employed or self-employed person). In such cases, the person is obliged to inform any department of the SSIA about starting employment relations within three business days.
The rates of the benefits
The amount of the allowance is 64.03 euros a month.
The amount of the state social security allowance in case of disability – see the chapter “State social security allowance in case of disability”
Time for claiming
The allowance may be applied for within 6 months after the day, when the person has become entitled to request the allowance. If the person exceeds the time limit, the monthly allowance is paid only for the 6 previous months, starting from the day of requesting the state social allowance.
Time for decision
The application for granting of the allowance is reviewed within a month after receiving it and decision is made on granting or rejecting the allowance.
Receipt of the benefit
The allowance may be received in one’s place of residence, as well as transferred to the recipient’s account in a credit institution or a postal account system (PAS).
There is a free for delivery of the allowance to the recipient’s place of residence – 2,39 euros.
If the recipient of the allowance has passed away, the allowance granted but not received until the date of death can be received by the recipient’s spouse or any of the first-degree or second-degree relatives.
When applying for the granted allowance not received due to death of the recipient of the allowance an application for payment of the allowance not received in case of the death of the recipient of the allowance must be submitted. The application can be sent also by post or in electronic form in accordance with the regulatory enactments regarding drawing up of electronic documents. When applying for the allowance by post or e-mail application form in the webpage of the SSIA www.vsaa.gov.lv can be used or a free text application.
By signing the application, the person requesting the benefit confirms that the information provided in the application is accurate.