Insured person is entitled to receive disability pension if the person:
- has not reached the retirement age determined by the law;
- has been acknowledged to be disabled (except the cases when disability has resulted from job accident or occupational disease after January 1 1997);
- insurance period is not less than three years;
- do not receive old age pension from another country (except pensions granted in accordance with international agreements or Regulation No.883/2004);
- resides in Latvia.
A person who concurrently has the right to different types of pension in accordance with Latvian normative regulation, shall be granted one pension taking into consideration such person’s chosen option.
Pension is granted in accordance with the Law On State Pensions.
Disability pension is taxable object in accordance with Article 3 (3) Subparagraph 14 and Article 13 of the Law On Personal Income Tax.
When applying for the disability pension person shall submit:
- application for the pension;
- documents proving insurance period (if there are insurance periods before 1996).
The State Medical Commission for the Assessment of Health Condition and Working Ability submit electronically theinformation on established disability group to SSIA.
Documents can be submitted to any local office of the SSIA.
When applying for the pension a personal ID document has to be produced.
Amount of the disability pension for groups I and II depends on:
- the persons average insurance contribution wage, that is determined for any 36 months in succession during the last five years before granting of the disability pension;
- the person’s individual insurance period length;
- from the maximum possible insurance period length, that is determined from the age of 15 until the retirement age determined by the law.
In the case of disability group III the pension is granted in the amount of the state social security benefit – 64,03 euro, to the disabled since childhood – 106,72 euro.
Disability pension in a minimum amount is granted, if the person during the five year period before granting of the disability pension has not been subject to disability insurance
- group I disability pension minimum amount is equal to the state social security benefit to which the ratio of 1.6 is applied (102,45 euro, to the disabled since childhood – 170,75 euro),
- group II disability pension minimum amount is equal to the state social security benefit to which the ratio of 1.4 is applied (89,64 euro, to the disabled since childhood – 149,41 euro),
Disability pension can be received at the place of residence or transferred to the beneficiary’s account at the bank or postal account system (PNS).
Delivering disability pension to the place of residence is a charged service and currently the price is 2,39 euro.
Payment of invalidity pension to persons who are permanently moving to a foreign country
After year 2002, for persons who are permanently moving to a foreign country that is outside of the EU/EEA memberstates and with whom the Republic of Latvia has not signed an agreement in the social security field, pensions granted in the Republic of Latvia can be continued to be paid to a bank account in Latvia. In this case, it is necessary for the concerned person to contact the SSIA (Social Security Insurance Agency) department prior to leaving, he/she should provide personal ID, submit a claim for continued payment of their pension, specify the bank account of the credit institution in Latvia, as well as specify his/her new address of residence. If the concerned person has already moved to a foreign country and wishes to continue receiving their pension in Latvia, the previously stated documents should be sent by mail or submitted by the mediation of an authorized person, attaching to the claim a notarial certification (prepared no later than one month before submitting the claim) which testifies that the recipient of the pension is alive.
Henceforth, any person that is living in a foreign country and receiving a Latvian pension, will have to submit to the SSIA department (each year during the period 1st of October – 15th of December) a written claim for continued payment of a pension, sending it by mail or submitting it by the mediation of an authorized person. A notarial certification (prepared no later than one month before submitting the claim) which testifies that the recipient of the pension is alive has to be attached to the claim.
When submitting documents issued in foreign countries, they have to be formatted accordingly to the rules of document validation. If the document has been issued in a foreign language, a translation of the document might be necessary.
A claim for continued payment of a pension can also be submitted personally in the SSIA department, upon presenting personal ID. In this case, it is not necessary to present a notarial certification which testifies that the recipient of the pension is alive.