For refugees and persons with an alternative status
The right to receive the allowance
is granted to a refugee or a person with an alternative status, who is in the working age (a period of the person’s life from the age of 15 to the age necessary to receive the old-age pension determined in the Republic of Latvia) on the day the allowance is requested, if:
- a person is working (is an employee or a self-employed person);
- a person is not working (is not an employee or a self-employed person), has registered with the State Employment Agency (SEA), has obtained the status of an unemployed or a job seeker, and fulfils the duties of an unemployed or a job seeker, including participation in official language mastering programmes.
The following persons do not have to register with SEA:
- a person who has been assigned disability category I or II by the State Commission of Physicians for Health and Work Capacity;
- a person who is obtaining education at an accredited educational institution in Latvia within the framework of full-time studies.
The right to request and receive the allowance for a minor person is granted to one of the parents or a legal representative thereof, producing a document which certifies the legal right to represent the minor person without accompanying.
If a child has reached the age of 15 and is studying at an educational institution in Latvia, the State Social Insurance Agency (SSIA) receives information about the students of schools of general education from the Ministry of Education and Science in electronic form.
In turn, if a child has reached the age of 15 and is studying full-time at a vocational school or a higher educational institution in Latvia, a person requesting the allowance has to submit a statement issued by the relevant educational institution to SSIA.
Requesting the allowance
To receive the allowance, the requesting person shall submit an application addressed to SSIA “Application for granting of the allowance to a refugee or a person, who has been assigned an alternative status”:
- via the non-governmental organisation “Shelter “Safe House””;
- in person at any SSIA territorial division, if support provided by the organisation “Shelter “Safe House”” is not required.
Allowance payment period
- A refugee has the right to receive the allowance for 10 months within a 12-month period following the day the status of a refugee is obtained.
- A person with an alternative status has the right to receive the allowance for 7 months within a 12-month period following the day the alternative status is obtained.
If a refugee or a person with an alternative status is working, the allowance is paid for a period not exceeding three months following the day the status of an employee or a self-employed person is obtained.
If a person with an alternative status, who has received a one-time financial aid and allowance, is assigned the status of a refugee, he or she has the right to receive the allowance as a refugee for a period not exceeding 10 months together with the period of the previously paid allowance.
The allowance is not paid for a period during which a person:
- is staying in a prison, except for serving the punishment “deprivation of liberty” in an open-type prison;
- is staying in a long-term social care or social rehabilitation institution, the service of which is fully financed from the State or local government budget;
- has not fulfilled the duties of an unemployed or a self-employed person.
- for a major person — EUR 139.00 per month;
- if persons are spouses, for one person — EUR 139.00, for the other person — EUR 97.00 per month;
- for a minor person — EUR 97.00 per month.
Granting of the allowance
The allowance is granted from the day an application on granting of the allowance is submitted to SSIA.
A decision on granting of the allowance or rejection to grant it is adopted by a SSIA official for each person individually within 10 working days following the receipt of necessary information.
Receipt of the allowance
SSIA transfers the granted allowance once a month by the 10th date to the personal account with a credit institution of the Republic of Latvia or an account of the postal payment system, specified in the person’s application.
The payment of the allowance starts no later than in the next calendar month following the day the allowance is granted and the allowance is paid once a month for the previous month.
The allowance for a minor person is transferred to his or her legal representative.
Useful to know
The recipient of the allowance has a duty to voluntarily refund the unjustifiably received or overpaid amount of allowance to the State budget.