Insurance Indemnity after the Loss of a Supporter (Related to an Accident at Work or Occupational Disease after 01.01.1997)
The insurance indemnity after the loss of a supporter is granted in case the insured person has died due to an accident at work or occupational disease.
People entitled to receive the indemnity for the loss of a supporter are disabled family members, who had been fully or partially maintained by the deceased person:
- children that have not reached 18 years of age (after reaching 18 years of age, if they are day students at an institution of secondary or higher education and are not older than 24 years);
- children regardless of their age, if they have become disabled before reaching 18 years of age;
- brothers, sisters and grandchildren younger than 18 years of age, if they do not have parents that are able to work;
- brothers, sisters and grandchildren regardless of their age, if they have become disabled before reaching 18 years of age and they do not have parents that are able to work;
- surviving spouse and parents (if they have not reached the age, from which one can receive an old-age pension);
- surviving spouse expecting a child from the deceased person after his death;
- people taking care of the deceased person’s child up to the age of 8 (surviving spouse, one of the grandparents (regardless of age), one of the adult brothers/sisters).
The insurance indemnity is granted according to the Law on Compulsory Social Insurance in Respect of Accidents at Work and Occupational Diseases.
The procedures of calculation of the insurance indemnity are provided in the Cabinet Regulation No. 50 of 16 February 1999 “The Procedure of Calculation and Granting of Insurance Indemnity of Social Insurance in Respect of Accidents at Work and Occupational Diseases”.
The benefits’ claiming rules
When requesting the indemnity, one must submit the following:
- application for granting of the indemnity;
- act of the accident at work or conclusion about the occupational disease, issued according to the laws and regulations on the procedures of examination and registration of occupational diseases must be presented (if such information is not available to the SSIA);
- statement of a health-care facility on relation of the death to an accident at work or occupational disease;
- documents certifying the kinship or marriage to the insured person – birth certificate and/or marriage certificate (must be presented, if such information is not available to the SSIA);
- court judgement on the fact of maintenance, in case it is impossible to establish the fact of full or partial maintenance based on the aforementioned documents.
An application you can submit in one of the divisions of the State Social Insurance Agency (SSIA):
- sent by post or submit by a notary authorized person’s intermediation.
By signing the application, the person requesting the benefit confirms that the information provided in the application is accurate.
The allowance may be requested through an authorised person, provided that the representation rights have been granted in accordance with Article 38 Paragraph one of the Administrative Procedure Law. Representation of a natural person shall be drawn up as a notarised power of attorney, or a natural person may authorise his or her representative at the VSAA office, if both the representative and the authorising person are present.
The rates of the benefits
The amount of the insurance indemnity for the loss of a supporter depends on the average wage subject to insurance contributions that is established for a 12-month period (omitting two months before the month, when the insured person has passed away due to an accident at work or occupational disease) and depends on the number of dependants.
As of 1 April, 2017, the minimum amount of insurance remuneration for the loss of supporter shall amount to for each child:
- Up to 6 years old (including) – 92,50 euro;
- Up to 6 years old (including) for a disabled child since his childhood – 106,72 euro;
- From the age of 7 onwards – 111,00 euro.
The insurance remuneration for the loss of a supporter granted until 31 March 2017 shall be reviewed by the State Social Security Agency by 30 September 2017, and the difference for the period from 1 April 2017 shall be refunded by no later than 30 September 2017. The review of these services will be performed automatically and is not subject to an individual application.
Time for claiming
Indemnity for the loss of a supporter is granted as of the day of death of the supporter, if the documents are submitted within 6 months after the death of the supporter.
Time for decision
Decision of granting or rejecting of the indemnity is made within a month as of the receipt of the application.
Receipt of the benefit
The indemnity may be received:
- by transferring it to the recipient’s account in a credit institution or a postal account system;
- by delivering it to the recipient’s place of residence (delivery to the place of residence is a paid service and the current fee is 1.74 euro).
If the recipient of the indemnity leaves the Republic of Latvia to permanently live abroad, the indemnity is still paid, in case:
- before leaving, the person submits a written application to the SSIA, specifying an account in a credit institution of the Republic of Latvia, to which the indemnity shall be transferred;
- If person lives abroad, annual written request for continuation of indemnity payment must be submitted to SSIA within the period from October 1 till December 15 (must be submitted personally, via authorized person or sent by post; request must contain the account of credit institution of the Republic of Latvia).
When sending a request by post or submitting it via an authorised person, one shall attach a notary public’s statement bearing a date no earlier than a month prior to the date of submission, that the remuneration recipient and family members incapable to work, for which the remuneration is received
If the indemnity is received for the children (18-24 years of age) that were maintained by the deceased insured person and are day students of an institution of secondary or higher education, one must present or mail a statement of the educational institutions certifying that the child is still studying.
When submitting documents issued in foreign countries, they have to be formatted accordingly to the rules of document validation. If the document has been issued in a foreign language, a translation of the document might be necessary.
Request for the further indemnity payment can be also submitted to SSIA division personally by the receiver of indemnity and work disabled members of family upon presenting person attestant document. In that case life attestation issued by the notary is not necessary.
Payment of the indemnity for the loss of a supporter is discontinued for a period of time, while the person receives the unemployment benefit.